INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Authorities say a 2-year-old girl has died in an Indianapolis fire after her father was unable to coax her from their burning home.
Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith (ryt) says the girl’s 35-year-old father and 3-year-old brother have been hospitalized with injuries from the blaze Wednesday morning in Beech Grove. The names of the victims haven’t been released.
Reith says “the father was desperately trying to get the little girl to come with him, and she would not or could not. The fire quickly grew out of control and he had to get out.”
She says a man and his two teenage sons were rescued from the roof, and a woman ran out the front door.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Another, faster-spreading omicron subvariant dominates new COVID cases in U.S.
- Latest shooting hasn't changed GOP's devotion to gun rights
- Gunman's final 90 minutes fuel questions about police delays
- Husband of one of the teachers fatally shot at Uvalde school dies from heart attack
- How to ‘COVID-proof’ your home (as much as possible) when a family member gets sick
Reith says the fire started in a first-floor rear apartment.