LOUISA, Va. (AP) — A 2-year-old boy whose brother shot him was the first of two toddlers to be killed in gun accidents in Virginia on Tuesday.
Louisa County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Donald A. Lowe tells news outlets that Tyson Aponte’s 4-year-old brother mistook a gun for a toy Tuesday morning and fired it, hitting the toddler in the chest. Aponte died after rescuers attempted CPR.
Lowe says the boys’ mother was home at the time. Authorities are investigating.
Later Tuesday, a couple flagged down Roanoke police. Police spokeswoman Caitlyn Cline says that the man and woman told officers their 2-year-old son had accidentally shot himself at their apartment. The boy was pronounced dead at a hospital before 1 p.m.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fired police sergeant attacks Thai day care center, kills 36
- Rare drone footage shows orcas mauling great white sharks
- In retreat at the front, Russia strikes deep into Ukraine
- WA rancher behind $244M 'ghost cattle' fraud sentenced to prison
- VP was in car accident; Secret Service first called it 'mechanical failure'
The boy’s name and the circumstances leading to the shooting haven’t been released.