LAUREL, Md. (AP) — Howard County authorities say two teenagers have been arrested in a weekend shooting that left a 14-year-old boy dead.
Authorities say 19-year-old Luis Gerardo Ordonez and 16-year-old Francisco J. Rodriguez, both of Laurel, will be charged with murder, assault, and firearms violations in the killing Saturday of Xavier Cole Young of Odenton. Rodriguez will be charged as an adult.
Both suspects were originally charged with attempted murder, but Young died Monday as the result of his injuries.
Investigators believe that Young, Ordonez, Rodriguez and a few other teens were involved in coordinating a drug deal, but an altercation erupted and a shot was fired from a car window, striking Young.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
Ordonez and Rodriguez were taken into custody Monday after being spotted in Ellicott City. Both are being held without bond.