BALTIMORE (AP) — Police in Maryland say two people have been sickened after opening a package that they received in the mail.
Frederick Police Lt. Clark Pennington says the two went to a hospital for treatment and brought the package with them, and the hospital was considered a hazmat scene.
Pennington says when the people opened the package about noon Tuesday, they began to feel burning and had difficulty breathing.
Pennington says they took the package to Frederick Memorial Hospital. Decontamination tents were set up outside the emergency room.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
Hospital, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin says by phone that operations were back to normal Tuesday afternoon, except for a small area of the emergency department. She says no hospital staff were hurt.
Pennington says preliminary tests indicate the substance was a household cleaning product.