BALTIMORE (AP) — Police in Maryland say two people have been sickened after opening a package that they received in the mail.
Frederick Police Lt. Clark Pennington says the two went to a hospital for treatment and brought the package with them, and the hospital was considered a hazmat scene.
Pennington says when the people opened the package about noon Tuesday, they began to feel burning and had difficulty breathing.
Pennington says they took the package to Frederick Memorial Hospital. Decontamination tents were set up outside the emergency room.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- School shut after Confederate flag-bearing truck gatherings
- Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
- Arizona Senate moves to change rules for replacing John McCain
- All teachers transferred, fired from troubled elementary
- Paul Allen's team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943 VIEW
Hospital, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin says by phone that operations were back to normal Tuesday afternoon, except for a small area of the emergency department. She says no hospital staff were hurt.
Pennington says preliminary tests indicate the substance was a household cleaning product.