PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Two Portland police officers were injured by a suspected drunk driver just minutes after making a DUI arrest.
Authorities say the incident happened on Interstate 5 around 12:45 a.m. Saturday.
A police sergeant was treated and released at a hospital while an officer remains hospitalized but is expected to be released soon.
Police say the two responded separately to a possible drunk driver and a car blocking the northbound lane.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
Authorities say they arrested a person on suspicion of drunk driving and then waited for a tow truck.
Police say another motorist hit one of the police cars, injuring the officer inside and the sergeant outside the vehicle.
The driver who hit the patrol vehicle, Ken Neely, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, assault and reckless driving.