NEW YORK (AP) — Two New York City police detectives have been suspended without pay amid reports that they’re facing criminal charges in the sexual assault of an 18-year-old woman.
The Brooklyn teenager says the officers assaulted her following a traffic stop on Sept. 15.
Police spokesman Stephen Davis says the two officers were suspended and demoted from detective on Friday.
He declined to comment on reports that a grand jury has handed up an indictment charging at least one of the officers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Florida man filming sunrise killed when sand dune collapses
The woman’s lawyer, Michael David, says the detectives threatened her with arrest over a bottle of prescription pills, then handcuffed her and drove around before stopping in a restaurant parking lot.
David says one detective forced the woman to perform oral sex and the other raped her.