BALTIMORE (AP) — Police filed charges Monday against the mother and an uncle of a 9-year-old boy who died after allegedly being beaten for eating a piece of birthday cake without permission.
Oriana Garcia, 26, and Jacob Barajas, 23, were charged with second-degree murder in Jack Garcia’s death, Hagerstown Police Capt. Paul Kifer said in a news release.
Kifer said that on June 30, Barajas handcuffed Jack to a chair, and Garcia’s boyfriend, 30-year-old Robert Wilson, hit him.
Police alleged that Oriana Garcia turned paramedics away when they were first called to her home, saying the boy was only “congested” and didn’t need medical attention.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87
- A teenager tested positive for coronavirus. His parents sent him to school anyway.
- Twisted Sister singer to anti-maskers: Don't use our song
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Homes destroyed after winds push California fire into desert VIEW
When paramedics were called to the home again four hours later, they found Jack unconscious and with numerous bruises and cuts, Kifer said. They brought him to a hospital and called police. Shortly after, Wilson was charged with first-degree assault and child abuse.
Jack died July 5 at a Washington hospital. Kifer did not say whether more serious charges would be filed against Wilson.
Kifer says Oriana Garcia had abused her son in the past. He did not elaborate.