BALTIMORE (AP) — Police filed charges Monday against the mother and an uncle of a 9-year-old boy who died after allegedly being beaten for eating a piece of birthday cake without permission.
Oriana Garcia, 26, and Jacob Barajas, 23, were charged with second-degree murder in Jack Garcia’s death, Hagerstown Police Capt. Paul Kifer said in a news release.
Kifer said that on June 30, Barajas handcuffed Jack to a chair, and Garcia’s boyfriend, 30-year-old Robert Wilson, hit him.
Police alleged that Oriana Garcia turned paramedics away when they were first called to her home, saying the boy was only “congested” and didn’t need medical attention.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- International travelers stranded, angry in omicron's wake: 'The first thing I did was cry'
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
When paramedics were called to the home again four hours later, they found Jack unconscious and with numerous bruises and cuts, Kifer said. They brought him to a hospital and called police. Shortly after, Wilson was charged with first-degree assault and child abuse.
Jack died July 5 at a Washington hospital. Kifer did not say whether more serious charges would be filed against Wilson.
Kifer says Oriana Garcia had abused her son in the past. He did not elaborate.