BOSTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities say a man and woman were killed in an apparent murder-suicide shooting along Interstate 96 in western Michigan that also left a young woman badly wounded.
The Ionia County Sheriff’s Office says deputies found an SUV parked on the highway’s shoulder Saturday night, with 51-year-old David Somers and 51-year-old Lisa Somers dead from gunshot wounds.
The department says a loaded shotgun was found underneath David Somers’ body at the scene about 15 miles (24 kilometers) east of Grand Rapids. Police say Amber Dewey, Lisa Somers’ 18-year-old daughter, was wounded inside the SUV and was hospitalized Sunday in critical condition. All three people are from Kaleva, Michigan.
The department said it wasn’t clear what led up to the shootings, which remain under investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- Americans, Canadians are warned not to eat romaine lettuce VIEW
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie