WINTERSET, Iowa (AP) — Two people have been given probation for setting fire to a historic Madison County covered bridge featured on the cover of the novel “The Bridges of Madison County.”
Court records say 19-year-old Joel Davis and 20-year-old Alivia Bergmann were sentenced Monday to five years of probation and given deferred judgments. Both had pleaded guilty to arson charges stemming from the fire last April.
Under deferred judgments, the convictions can be wiped from their records if the two successfully complete their probation terms.
A third person, Alexander Hoff also has pleaded guilty. He’s scheduled to be sentenced Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- 'Nobody should work here — ever': Teen uses intercom to quit Walmart
- 12-year-old in China kills his mother, then returns to school, igniting an outcry
The bridge near Winterset also was featured in the 1995 movie adaptation of “The Bridges of Madison County.”