MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Two supermarket employees were stabbed while trying to stop a shoplifter at a Miami Beach store.
Police spokesman Ernesto Rodriguez said in a news release that employees were trying to intervene when they saw a man shoplifting in a Publix supermarket on Tuesday evening.
News outlets report that 43-year-old Matthew Miller was arrested later Wednesday night and charged with aggravated battery, armed robbery and retail theft.
Police say one of the employees was stabbed in the stomach and taken to a hospital for treatment. The other suffered a cut on the leg. Officials didn’t release their names or provide an update on their conditions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH