MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Two supermarket employees were stabbed while trying to stop a shoplifter at a Miami Beach store.
Police spokesman Ernesto Rodriguez said in a news release that employees were trying to intervene when they saw a man shoplifting in a Publix supermarket on Tuesday evening.
News outlets report that 43-year-old Matthew Miller was arrested later Wednesday night and charged with aggravated battery, armed robbery and retail theft.
Police say one of the employees was stabbed in the stomach and taken to a hospital for treatment. The other suffered a cut on the leg. Officials didn’t release their names or provide an update on their conditions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks