MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Two supermarket employees were stabbed while trying to stop a shoplifter at a Miami Beach store.
Police spokesman Ernesto Rodriguez said in a news release that employees were trying to intervene when they saw a man shoplifting in a Publix supermarket on Tuesday evening.
News outlets report that 43-year-old Matthew Miller was arrested later Wednesday night and charged with aggravated battery, armed robbery and retail theft.
Police say one of the employees was stabbed in the stomach and taken to a hospital for treatment. The other suffered a cut on the leg. Officials didn’t release their names or provide an update on their conditions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- George Conway, husband of Trump aide, would rather 'move to Australia' than vote for president again