MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Two supermarket employees were stabbed while trying to stop a shoplifter at a Miami Beach store.
Police spokesman Ernesto Rodriguez said in a news release that employees were trying to intervene when they saw a man shoplifting in a Publix supermarket on Tuesday evening.
News outlets report that 43-year-old Matthew Miller was arrested later Wednesday night and charged with aggravated battery, armed robbery and retail theft.
Police say one of the employees was stabbed in the stomach and taken to a hospital for treatment. The other suffered a cut on the leg. Officials didn’t release their names or provide an update on their conditions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood