PLUMSTED TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say an elderly Pennsylvania woman and her passenger were killed when their SUV collided with a dump truck in New Jersey.
Ocean County prosecutors say 79-year-old Nancy Harris, of Newtown, was trying to turn on to Route 539 in Plumsted Township around 10:50 a.m. Monday when she pulled in front of the truck, which was northbound on Route 539 and carrying 20 tons of sand.
Harris and her 84-year-old passenger, Helen Conover of Hamilton Township (Mercer County), were both pronounced dead at the scene a short time later. The truck driver, identified only as a 58-year-old Little Egg Harbor man, was treated at a hospital for minor back pain.
Authorities closed the roadway for about four hours while the crash was investigated.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Betsy DeVos compares Joe Biden touching her forehead to sexual harassment under Title IX