PARIS (AP) — Two British skiers have died after falling from steep slopes in particularly icy conditions on Mont Blanc in the French Alps.
Lt. Remi Pelisson with the mountain gendarme service said Monday that the two men were skiing off-piste in a popular area off the Grands Montets resort when they died Sunday.
A third British skier alerted rescuers but the men were found dead, Pelisson told The Associated Press. He said the two were apparently on holiday in Chamonix and were between 25 and 30 years old.
The British Foreign Office said it is in touch with French authorities and providing support to the victims’ families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
This winter has seen heavy snow create dangerous conditions and disrupt transport across the Alps.