PARIS (AP) — Two British skiers have died after falling from steep slopes in particularly icy conditions on Mont Blanc in the French Alps.
Lt. Remi Pelisson with the mountain gendarme service said Monday that the two men were skiing off-piste in a popular area off the Grands Montets resort when they died Sunday.
A third British skier alerted rescuers but the men were found dead, Pelisson told The Associated Press. He said the two were apparently on holiday in Chamonix and were between 25 and 30 years old.
The British Foreign Office said it is in touch with French authorities and providing support to the victims’ families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW
This winter has seen heavy snow create dangerous conditions and disrupt transport across the Alps.