PARIS (AP) — Two British skiers have died after falling from steep slopes in particularly icy conditions on Mont Blanc in the French Alps.
Lt. Remi Pelisson with the mountain gendarme service said Monday that the two men were skiing off-piste in a popular area off the Grands Montets resort when they died Sunday.
A third British skier alerted rescuers but the men were found dead, Pelisson told The Associated Press. He said the two were apparently on holiday in Chamonix and were between 25 and 30 years old.
The British Foreign Office said it is in touch with French authorities and providing support to the victims’ families.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
This winter has seen heavy snow create dangerous conditions and disrupt transport across the Alps.