AMHERST, Mass. (AP) — Police have arrested two people they allege were responsible for a series of backpack thefts at the University of Massachusetts.
Police tell The Daily Hampshire Gazette (http://bit.ly/2fwQ6nW ) that since Sept. 15 they have responded to several reports of stolen student backpacks at the Amherst campus that contained laptops, wallets, cellphones, credit cards, passports, cash and other personal belongings. All the packs were left unattended.
Using campus surveillance cameras, police developed a description of the suspects and earlier this week arrested them near a dining hall where two backpacks had been reported missing. Backpacks had also been stolen from the Fine Arts Center and the main campus library.
Police say 23-year-old Alexandra Brewer, of Holyoke, and 26-year-old Gregory Collison, of Amherst, face 14 larceny counts each. They both pleaded not guilty.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- Large explosions rock Russian military air base in Crimea