OPELIKA, Ala. (AP) — Two east Alabama firefighters have been seriously injured during a training exercise.
Police say two members of the Opelika Fire Department were hurt Thursday afternoon while training inside an abandoned home. Authorities haven’t released their names.
Police Capt. Bobby Kilgore says one firefighter suffered from smoke inhalation and the other suffered burns. Kilgore tells the Opelika-Auburn News the injuries are serious.
The Opelika Fire Department says one person was taken to UAB Hospital in Birmingham and the other went to a hospital in Columbus, Georgia.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks