WEST CHESTER, Pa. — Authorities say two addiction counselors at a suburban Philadelphia halfway house have died of opioid overdoses.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan says, “If anybody is wondering how bad the opioid epidemic has become, this case is a frightening example.”
Emergency responders were called to Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge on Sunday after residents found the counselors unresponsive in separate bedrooms.
Residents tried to revive one of the counselors with naloxone but were unsuccessful and called 911.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
The men lived at the home as on-site counselors with six male residents. Police say their duties included organizing daily activities and keeping medications under lock-and-key.
They died at the scene.
Baggies stamped with a Superman logo and “danger” logo were found in their rooms and tested positive for heroin and fentanyl.