MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A new mayor has taken office in New Hampshire’s largest city.
Manchester Mayor Joyce Craig, the first woman to hold the office, was sworn in on Tuesday.
In the November election, Craig, a Democrat, beat four-term Republican Mayor Ted Gatsas.
Democratic U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan introduced Craig before her inauguration speech.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
Craig, a former alderman, says her priorities as mayor are to improve city schools, reduce crime and to address the opioid crisis. She also wants to establish a business development and economic growth council and look at opportunities for commuter rail.