MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A new mayor has taken office in New Hampshire’s largest city.
Manchester Mayor Joyce Craig, the first woman to hold the office, was sworn in on Tuesday.
In the November election, Craig, a Democrat, beat four-term Republican Mayor Ted Gatsas.
Democratic U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan introduced Craig before her inauguration speech.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Craig, a former alderman, says her priorities as mayor are to improve city schools, reduce crime and to address the opioid crisis. She also wants to establish a business development and economic growth council and look at opportunities for commuter rail.