MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — A new mayor has taken office in New Hampshire’s largest city.
Manchester Mayor Joyce Craig, the first woman to hold the office, was sworn in on Tuesday.
In the November election, Craig, a Democrat, beat four-term Republican Mayor Ted Gatsas.
Democratic U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan introduced Craig before her inauguration speech.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump says he'll give State of Union after shutdown ends VIEW
- AP Exclusive: Adoptee deported by US sues S. Korea, agency
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- How anonymous tweets helped ignite a national controversy over MAGA hat teens
- Nathan Phillips, Native American in standoff with teens, faces scrutiny of his military past
Craig, a former alderman, says her priorities as mayor are to improve city schools, reduce crime and to address the opioid crisis. She also wants to establish a business development and economic growth council and look at opportunities for commuter rail.