MEXICO BEACH, Fla. — Two first responders in the Florida Panhandle have gotten married on the slab of their home that was demolished by Hurricane Michael.
Mexico Beach police Officer Brittany Medina and firefighter Ben Parham were married Saturday, almost two months after the Category 4 storm leveled most of the buildings in the community.
Medina wore a white dress and veil while Parham was in his firefighter’s uniform. Guests sat on wooden benches.
The couple lost most of their possessions to the hurricane. But Medina told television station WMBB that she didn’t have time to wallow in self-pity.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- 'American Taliban' fighter to be released after 17 years VIEW
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Mnuchin says Tubman $20 bill design delayed past 2020
- Serial killer who took 10 women's lives executed in Florida
She kept working during the disaster and planning her wedding. Neighbors helped clean off the slab and made it safe for guests.
Information from: WMBB-TV, http://www.wmbb.com/