NEW YORK (AP) — Nineteen people were pulled out of the water when a dragon boat overturned in New York City’s East River. No one was injured.
The New York Fire Department says the call came in around 1:40 p.m. Sunday.
The Coast Guard says the wooden dragon boat from the Azumi Rowing Club was completely submerged by the time rescue crews arrived on the scene near Queens.
The Coast Guard says the boaters were all wearing lifejackets and were taken to the College Point Yacht Club where they were examined by EMS crews.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance
Dragon boats are Chinese-designed boats propelled by paddles and commonly used for racing.