NEW YORK (AP) — Nineteen people were pulled out of the water when a dragon boat overturned in New York City’s East River. No one was injured.
The New York Fire Department says the call came in around 1:40 p.m. Sunday.
The Coast Guard says the wooden dragon boat from the Azumi Rowing Club was completely submerged by the time rescue crews arrived on the scene near Queens.
The Coast Guard says the boaters were all wearing lifejackets and were taken to the College Point Yacht Club where they were examined by EMS crews.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Official: Girl told 911 'send the police now' as cops waited
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Another, faster-spreading omicron subvariant dominates new COVID cases in U.S.
- After 10 years on the run, couple pleads guilty in Federal Way scuba diver’s death
- Prepare for sticker shock if you are traveling this summer
Dragon boats are Chinese-designed boats propelled by paddles and commonly used for racing.