NEW YORK (AP) — Nineteen people were pulled out of the water when a dragon boat overturned in New York City’s East River. No one was injured.
The New York Fire Department says the call came in around 1:40 p.m. Sunday.
The Coast Guard says the wooden dragon boat from the Azumi Rowing Club was completely submerged by the time rescue crews arrived on the scene near Queens.
The Coast Guard says the boaters were all wearing lifejackets and were taken to the College Point Yacht Club where they were examined by EMS crews.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- EXPLAINER: What's next after House impeachment vote
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- Trump opens habitat of northern spotted owl to timber harvesting
Dragon boats are Chinese-designed boats propelled by paddles and commonly used for racing.