NEW YORK (AP) — Nineteen people were pulled out of the water when a dragon boat overturned in New York City’s East River. No one was injured.
The New York Fire Department says the call came in around 1:40 p.m. Sunday.
The Coast Guard says the wooden dragon boat from the Azumi Rowing Club was completely submerged by the time rescue crews arrived on the scene near Queens.
The Coast Guard says the boaters were all wearing lifejackets and were taken to the College Point Yacht Club where they were examined by EMS crews.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- N95 masks save lives. So why are they still hard to get this far into a pandemic?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
Dragon boats are Chinese-designed boats propelled by paddles and commonly used for racing.