CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A teen has been charged in an assault on a Greek Orthodox priest in North Carolina.
News outlets cite a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police report that says Steve Dalber was punched and hit with a car in the parking lot of St. Nektarios Greek Orthodox Church on Friday night. The church said in an update on its website that the priest was looking for his cellphone at the time.
According to jail records, the 17-year-old male was booked early Saturday on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, felony hit-and-run and simple assault.
Authorities have not released a possible motive.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks
The church says Dalber sustained a broken arm and back injury, but does not require surgery at this time. He remained hospitalized as of Sunday.