PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — Police in Montenegro say an Italian fishing boat has picked up 17 migrants, including 11 Syrians, from a small inflatable boat floating in the Adriatic Sea.
The Italian boat crew said they picked up the migrants before docking into the Montenegro port of Zelenika early Tuesday. Police say two Moroccans, two people from Yemen, one from Afghanistan and one from Pakistan were also on the boat.
The group, which included four children, was in police custody at Zelenika.
It was not immediately clear where the migrants started their journey.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Georgia teens shared photos of maskless students in crowded hallways. Now they're suspended.
- 'Now you've got coronavirus,' Florida man tells boy to his face as the spit flies
- Man subdues leaping leopard
- Airway Heights Correctional Center inmate kills his cellmate, who victimized killer's sister
- Kenya’s solution to the school problem: Cancel the year and start over VIEW
Montenegro has been largely spared from the migrant flow across the Balkans that peaked in 2016, with people fleeing wars and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia trying to reach the Western Europe.