OGDEN, Utah (AP) — The Utah Poison Control Center says it has received 14 reports of poisonings this month caused after ingesting laundry detergent pods.
The Standard-Examiner reported Wednesday that some poisoning cases are linked to the “Tide Pod Challenge” social media trend where people post videos of themselves biting down on laundry detergent pods.
Sherrie Pace with Utah Poison Control Center says people can experience “vomiting, wheezing, gasping, breathing problems and feeling sleepy” after ingesting detergent.
According to data, the center saw more than 200 cases involving detergent exposure statewide in 2017.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
A majority of the cases from last year involved children.
The National Capital Poison Center says biting into a laundry detergent pod can cause serious injuries or even death.
Information from: Standard-Examiner, http://www.standard.net