COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a 13-year-old boy died after he fell in a South Carolina lake while skipping rocks.
Richland County Sheriff’s Lt. Curtis Wilson says the boy’s body was recovered from Lake Carolina just after 4:30 p.m. Sunday. Deputies and the department’s dive team had responded to calls from the scene around 2 p.m.
Authorities said the boy and another unidentified person were skipping rocks on the lake’s spillway when the teen fell in. A police report says he tried several times to get out of the water, but couldn’t.
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts identified the boy as Jaylan Antonio Jones and said he lived in the large subdivision around the lake about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of downtown Columbia.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Betsy DeVos compares Joe Biden touching her forehead to sexual harassment under Title IX