TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — A fire at a luxury hotel in the Georgian Black Sea resort city of Batumi left 11 people dead and 21 others hurt, officials said Saturday.
The fire erupted late Friday evening at the Leograd hotel where participants in the Miss Georgia 2017 beauty pageant were having dinner, Russia’s TASS news agency quoted the Georgian Interior Ministry as saying.
All 20 participants escaped unhurt using a fire escape ladder, it said. At least 100 other guests and employees also escaped.
Eleven people died and 21 were injured, the ministry reported. Those hurt included one Israeli and 12 Turkish nationals.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Family of Pat Tillman angry at military
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol
- White House offers new tax credit to help spur vaccinations
- Your COVID post-vaccine activities safety guide, including gyms, shopping, taking an Uber and more
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.