TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — A fire at a luxury hotel in the Georgian Black Sea resort city of Batumi left 11 people dead and 21 others hurt, officials said Saturday.
The fire erupted late Friday evening at the Leograd hotel where participants in the Miss Georgia 2017 beauty pageant were having dinner, Russia’s TASS news agency quoted the Georgian Interior Ministry as saying.
All 20 participants escaped unhurt using a fire escape ladder, it said. At least 100 other guests and employees also escaped.
Eleven people died and 21 were injured, the ministry reported. Those hurt included one Israeli and 12 Turkish nationals.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI conducted search at his Mar-a-Lago estate
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.