HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio community has come together to throw a prom for an 11-year-old girl with stage 4 cancer.
Madison “Maddie” Smallwood and her entire fifth grade class from Monroe Elementary School joined in on the celebration Wednesday in Hamilton, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Cincinnati.
Maddie arrived to the prom in a limousine, brought four boys as her dates and was deemed “Prom Queen” at the end of the night.
Her mom, Lori, says Maddie was diagnosed with bone cancer when she was 8. She had undergone surgeries on her legs and lungs as well as 30 rounds of chemotherapy. Doctors say she now has an inoperable tumor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
Lori Smallwood says her daughter smiled at prom in a way she hasn’t seen since Maddie was 8 years old.