CHICAGO (AP) — A suburban Chicago girl has received a heart transplant just days after she danced her way into a hospital visit from Drake.
Surgeons performed the transplant on 11-year-old Sofia Sanchez on Monday at Chicago’s Lurie Children’s Hospital. The Canadian rapper visited Sofia there after seeing a video of her dancing in a hospital hallway to his song, “In My Feelings.” The video inspired a viral dance craze.
Cardiovascular surgeon Carl Backer says Sofia’s nine-hour surgery went extremely well, although the first 48 hours after are critical.
A Facebook video shows Sofia being told of the transplant on Sunday and then exclaiming “I’m getting a heart, Mom? Oh my God!”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At least 13 people arrested at Portland, Oregon, protest VIEW
- IRS launches a new way to estimate next year's tax refund
- 'CBS Evening News' anchor Norah O'Donnell caught on hot mic during Plácido Domingo segment saying 'Sounds like somebody else here'
- A $100,000 bribe got teen a UCLA soccer scholarship without even playing
- In economic warning signals, Trump sees signs of a conspiracy
This story has been corrected to show that the surgery took nine, not 12 hours.