Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday.
1. WHERE’S THE PARTY?
Crowds pack New York’s Times Square before the midnight New Year’s ball drop, while revelers around the world bid a weary and wary adieu to a year marred by attacks that left nations reeling and nerves rattled.
2. IMMINENT TERROR THREAT FEARED IN GERMANY
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- 'Botched': Arizona GOP's ballot count ends, troubles persist
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Bacon may become scarce in California as pig rules take effect
Police in Munich said they have “serious information” about an attack by Islamist extremists on New Year’s Eve, and asked partygoers to avoid big outdoor gatherings.
3. BLAZE IN THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES LIGHTS UP SKYLINE
One of Dubai’s luxury hotels became a towering inferno and injured more than a dozen, while a massive fireworks display went on nearby at the world’s tallest building.
4. BELGIANS ON EDGE AMID FEARS OF ATTACKS
Belgian police arrested a 10th person in connection with last month’s Paris bloodbath, while six more suspects were detained over a plot for new attacks in Brussels.
5. BILL COSBY FIGHTS BACK
The 78-year-old comedian’s lawyers went on the attack, calling the sexual assault charges against him a flawed and politically motivated case that won’t hold up in court.
6. WHO’S JAILED IN L.A.
The mother of a fugitive Texas teen known for using an “affluenza” defense in a fatal drunken-driving accident will likely remain jailed for several days in Los Angeles after being deported from Mexico.
7. FOILED PLOT IN ROCHESTER
An ex-convict seeking to prove he was worthy of joining the Islamic State by carrying out a New Year’s Eve attack at a bar was snared in an FBI sting involving three paid informants.
8. FLOODWATERS RECEDE IN MIDWEST
But hundreds of homes are damaged, with residents yet unable to return, and getting through St. Louis by car, boat or train is difficult.
9. THE ORANGE BOWL WINNER IS …
The Clemson Tigers will play for the national title after rolling past Oklahoma 37-17, and the nation’s lone unbeaten team will next face either Alabama or Michigan State for the championship.
10. WHAT MADE 2015 AN $11 BILLION YEAR FOR MOVIES
“Star Wars” kicked 2015 over the record-setting goal line this week, but the quality of films and the theatrical experience also helped.