PEORIA, Ill. (AP) — A traffic stop in Peoria ended with a foot chase and an exchange of gunfire that left a police officer wounded and another man dead.
Police Chief Jerry Mitchell says the unidentified officer was shot in the mid-torso early Thursday and is hospitalized. The motorist, 32-year-old Daniel O. El of Peoria Heights, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.
Mitchell said two officers in separate squad cars stopped El’s auto after a stop sign violation. After police removed a passenger from the auto, El allegedly drove off.
Authorities say El later exited the auto and fled on foot. Mitchell says officers tracked down the suspect and exchanged gunfire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
The incident is the second officer-involved fatal shooting in Peoria in the past five months. On Sept. 20, 2017, officers shot and killed bank robbery suspect Eddie Russell Jr. as he approached officers carrying a weapon.