PEORIA, Ill. (AP) — A traffic stop in Peoria ended with a foot chase and an exchange of gunfire that left a police officer wounded and another man dead.
Police Chief Jerry Mitchell says the unidentified officer was shot in the mid-torso early Thursday and is hospitalized. The motorist, 32-year-old Daniel O. El of Peoria Heights, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.
Mitchell said two officers in separate squad cars stopped El’s auto after a stop sign violation. After police removed a passenger from the auto, El allegedly drove off.
Authorities say El later exited the auto and fled on foot. Mitchell says officers tracked down the suspect and exchanged gunfire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump leads aggressive, all-out GOP drive to save Kavanaugh WATCH
- Kavanaugh’s yearbook page is ‘horrible, hurtful’ to a woman it named
- Coddling parents of Chinese college students stay close by in ‘tents of love’
- 'How'd you find me?': Kavanaugh friend Mark Judge has been holed up in a beach house amid media firestorm
- Cosby in cuffs: TV star gets 3 to 10 years for sex assault VIEW
The incident is the second officer-involved fatal shooting in Peoria in the past five months. On Sept. 20, 2017, officers shot and killed bank robbery suspect Eddie Russell Jr. as he approached officers carrying a weapon.