GRAND TOWER, Ill. (AP) — Authorities in southern Illinois say a man is dead after mixing drain cleaner with bleach in an attempt to clear a clogged drain.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinois reports that the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that a preliminary investigation shows the man created a poisonous gas that killed him. He was pronounced dead at the scene in Grand Tower. Police say officers responded to a call about 3:13 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say a woman escaped the home “due to the fast thinking of the dispatcher” who realized a deadly exposure occurred. She was taken to a St. Louis hospital.
The man’s name wasn’t immediately released pending notification of next of kin.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
Grand Tower is about 95 miles southeast of St. Louis.
Information from: Southern Illinoisan, http://www.southernillinoisan.com