GRAND TOWER, Ill. (AP) — Authorities in southern Illinois say a man is dead after mixing drain cleaner with bleach in an attempt to clear a clogged drain.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinois reports that the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that a preliminary investigation shows the man created a poisonous gas that killed him. He was pronounced dead at the scene in Grand Tower. Police say officers responded to a call about 3:13 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say a woman escaped the home “due to the fast thinking of the dispatcher” who realized a deadly exposure occurred. She was taken to a St. Louis hospital.
The man’s name wasn’t immediately released pending notification of next of kin.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Trump leads aggressive, all-out GOP drive to save Kavanaugh WATCH
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
Grand Tower is about 95 miles southeast of St. Louis.
Information from: Southern Illinoisan, http://www.southernillinoisan.com