POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A deadly fire in a high-rise Florida condominium had firefighters pulling people off balconies as smoke quickly spread early Tuesday. One man was killed, seven other residents were hospitalized and about 100 people have been displaced from the building.
Pompano Beach spokeswoman Sandra King says firefighters extinguished the blaze on the seventh floor of the 15-story building early Tuesday.
A resident who was able to safely get out told firefighters that she walked out of the bathroom and found her apartment on fire.
Smoke spread quickly down the hallway. King says firefighters pulled three people from seventh-floor balconies, but an 80-year-old man was found dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
The state fire marshal is investigating. Pompano Beach is just north of Fort Lauderdale.