POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A deadly fire in a high-rise Florida condominium had firefighters pulling people off balconies as smoke quickly spread early Tuesday. One man was killed, seven other residents were hospitalized and about 100 people have been displaced from the building.
Pompano Beach spokeswoman Sandra King says firefighters extinguished the blaze on the seventh floor of the 15-story building early Tuesday.
A resident who was able to safely get out told firefighters that she walked out of the bathroom and found her apartment on fire.
Smoke spread quickly down the hallway. King says firefighters pulled three people from seventh-floor balconies, but an 80-year-old man was found dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
The state fire marshal is investigating. Pompano Beach is just north of Fort Lauderdale.