POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A deadly fire in a high-rise Florida condominium had firefighters pulling people off balconies as smoke quickly spread early Tuesday. One man was killed, seven other residents were hospitalized and about 100 people have been displaced from the building.
Pompano Beach spokeswoman Sandra King says firefighters extinguished the blaze on the seventh floor of the 15-story building early Tuesday.
A resident who was able to safely get out told firefighters that she walked out of the bathroom and found her apartment on fire.
Smoke spread quickly down the hallway. King says firefighters pulled three people from seventh-floor balconies, but an 80-year-old man was found dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
The state fire marshal is investigating. Pompano Beach is just north of Fort Lauderdale.