No appointment needed to get new or replacement U.S. passport.
Need a U.S. passport? A “passport acceptance day” is coming up in Seattle on Saturday, Sept. 19, that lets people apply in person without paying any extra fees.
It’s especially convenient for those who, by law, must apply in person for passports, including first-time applicants and children younger than 16.
The Seattle Passport Agency is holding the event from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at its downtown office in the Fifth and Yesler Building, 300 Fifth Ave., Suite 600. No appointment is needed.
The passport day comes at the start of the September-December “slow season” for U.S. passport applications. Federal officials are encouraging people to apply for passports this fall, whether in person or by mail (applicants who meet certain criteria can apply by mail), so applicants are certain to get the documents in a timely manner.
Most Read Life Stories
- Planning to rent an RV? Here are some things we wish we'd known about RV travel beforehand
- What does your waist say about your health? According to a new study, a lot more than you'd think.
- For good Laotian food and some Thai favorites, head to Sweet Rice in Auburn VIEW
- 3 new happy hours around Seattle, and 1 'Yappy Hour' for dog lovers and dog owners
- Washington’s state and national parks are free this Sunday. Here are some favorites to check out.
Trip Atkins, of the Seattle Passport Agency, said that passport authorities also are trying to “broaden public awareness that many countries require six months validity on your passport in order for entry — we therefore strongly recommend that travelers keep a close eye on their passport expiration date.”
The Seattle Passport Agency normally handles in-person passport applications by appointment only and for expedited processing, which has an extra $60 fee and requires proof of urgent/imminent travel. On the Sept. 19 passport day in Seattle, applicants may choose expedited or standard passport processing ($110 for a first-time passport for an adult).
Get information on application requirements and fees and download application forms at travel.state.gov or phone the National Passport Information Center, 877-487-2778.