To celebrate the Aug. 25 centennial of the National Park Service, we asked readers to share their best photos — new and old — of national parks from across the United States.
Here’s a gallery that starts with 10 winners of The Seattle Times’ national parks reader-photo contest, selected by Times editors and photojournalists. There were only so many prizes to go around, but there were many, many heart-winning photos among the 850+ entries, so scroll through the gallery to see more than 30 other submissions. Thanks to all who contributed!
- How our photo-contest winner got this spectacular shot of a great big bear
- Quiz: How well do you know our national parks?
- What to do in Washington’s national parks, from hikes, to drives, to multi-day adventures
- What it’s like to spend 9 days in PNW backcountry: ‘A reset for the human spirit’
- New books about America’s national parks
- Astronaut shares gorgeous photos of Olympic National Park, Mount St. Helens
- Hot weather means no campfires in Washington State Parks