Passport Day is back, just in time for the summer travel season. On June 9, you can apply for a new passport — or renew an existing one — without making an appointment.
On Saturday, June 9, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Seattle Passport Agency will open its offices to anyone interested in applying for a new or renewed passport — no appointment necessary.
The event is part of a campaign by the U.S. Department of State to promote international travel for families with children, who may have greater difficulty working around job and school schedules to apply for travel documents. The office’s Saturday hours are a part of an effort to accommodate such travelers. Both routine and expedited passport applications will be accepted on Passport Day.
Typical office hours at the Seattle Passport Agency are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. For first-time applicants and children under 16 seeking passports, an in-person appointment is required by law. Expedited applications take about two to three weeks to process and require a $60 fee. Routine application processing takes about four to six weeks. The Seattle Passport Agency offices are located at 300 5th Avenue, Suite 600.
Details regarding required documents and eligibility for applicants can be found at the Department of State’s website.
Most Read Life Stories
- From a $5 tofu banh mi to coffee with cheese foam, try this food in Columbia City
- The 5 best dishes our food critic ate in the Seattle area this month for under $10
- Airfare hits record low due to weak travel demand
- The key to the best chicken soup from scratch? Ditch the old-world recipes
- Make chili for a warming, meaty, versatile bowl of goodness | Cooking with Sadie