The pre-clearance program aims to speed fliers through airport security.
Travelers have a new location to apply for the Transportation Security Administration’s PreCheck program: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
PreCheck is a program aimed at speeding up lines at airport security by allowing fliers to leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and liquids/gels in a carry-on bag.
Sea-Tac is now one of 47 airports where PreCheck enrollment is offered, TSA officials announced Tuesday.
The application site is near the Alaska Airlines ticketing area, close to security checkpoint 4. It is in a pre-security area, and no boarding pass is required to visit. Enrollment is available weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m. Walk-ins are accepted at the airport but will be enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis around scheduled appointments.
Most Read Life Stories
- Sunday Best: Emily Blunt, Iman are among the fashion winners from 2021 Met Gala
- Rant & Rave: Reader gives a lesson on the etiquette of waiting in line at Dick’s
- These Buffalo wings are an extra-crispy way to celebrate the American classic
- For a Jewish-style deli with 'big, ridiculous sandwiches' and great Ethiopian and Colombian eats, explore this Seattle neighborhood
- Ramona Quimby's Portland: A self-guided walking tour through sites in Beverly Cleary's books
Travelers who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents can begin the application process by going online to tsa.gov/precheck and clicking “Apply Now.” Follow the prompts to set up an appointment at the Sea-Tac location. An in-person visit is required to verify citizenship or immigration status and to provide fingerprints.
A background check then typically takes two to five days before applicants are approved, so don’t plan on applying and flying with your new PreCheck status the same day.
Applicants must bring a current U.S. passport or a driver’s license and certified copy of a birth certificate. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85. Approved applicants receive “Trusted Traveler” status, good for five years.
To learn more, see tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.