Seattle-based Alaska Airlines ranked third.
Here are the government’s rankings of the leading airlines and their on-time performance for March. The federal government counts a flight as on time if it arrives within 14 minutes of schedule.
1. Hawaiian Airlines, 89.9 percent
2. Delta Air Lines, 87.9 percent
3. Alaska Airlines, 86.4 percent
Most Read Life Stories
- Sunday Best: Emily Blunt, Iman are among the fashion winners from 2021 Met Gala
- Rant & Rave: Reader gives a lesson on the etiquette of waiting in line at Dick’s
- For a Jewish-style deli with 'big, ridiculous sandwiches' and great Ethiopian and Colombian eats, explore this Seattle neighborhood
- How the body of a hiker who disappeared two years ago was found in the North Cascades
- These Buffalo wings are an extra-crispy way to celebrate the American classic
4. ExpressJet, 83.0 percent
5. Southwest Airlines, 81.1 percent
6. United Airlines, 81.1 percent
7. American Airlines, 80.7 percent
8. SkyWest, 78.7 percent
9. Frontier Airlines, 77.6 percent
10. JetBlue Airways, 76.0 percent
11. Virgin America, 73.8 percent
12. Spirit Airlines, 64.6 percent
Total for all reporting airlines: 81.5 percent
Source: U.S. Department of Transportation
The report does not cover smaller airlines including Allegiant Air and some regional carriers.