The first Harry Potter theme park on the West Coast, at Universal Studios Hollywood, opens April 7.
LOS ANGELES — Rides and other attractions themed on Harry Potter will open at the Universal Hollywood theme park in Los Angeles on April 7, Universal announced Tuesday.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will include an immersive 3-D ride called Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, along with an outdoor family coaster, Flight of the Hippogriff. The Wizarding World also features depictions of Hogwarts castle and the village of Hogsmeade, both central backdrops for the “Harry Potter” book and movie series.
The first Wizarding World of Harry Potter park opened at Universal’s theme park in Orlando, Florida, in 2010. A second Harry Potter-themed park opened in Orlando in 2014. The Harry Potter attractions are credited with increasing attendance at Universal Orlando and with helping to boost tourism overall in the city of Orlando. Visitors waited up to five hours for a ride during the 2014 opening week.
Just like the Harry Potter parks in Orlando, Universal Hollywood’s Wizarding World is heavy on opportunities for visitors to spend money on food and souvenirs. The Los Angeles Wizarding World has two eateries, Three Broomsticks and Hog’s Head pub, as well as Magic Neep and Butterbeer carts, plus eight retail venues: Honeydukes, Ollivanders, Owl Post, Zonko’s Joke Shop, Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, Dervish and Banges, Gladrags Wizardwear and Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods.
Most Read Life Stories
- Rant & Rave: If you're grumpy at a sporting event, why not watch it from home?
- Palm Springs beyond the poolside: lonesome hikes, alien-inspired architecture and a poignant art museum
- Cigarettes, once shunned, have made a comeback with a younger crowd who knows better
- Cruise ships' COVID safety rules become voluntary as omicron spikes
- At 100, why American baking icon Betty Crocker is still a household name