Get international cultural experiences without leaving the United States, including at 3 destinations in the western U.S.
You can get culturally diverse experiences without leaving the western U.S. Here are three suggestions from “Abroad at Home: The 600 Best International Travel Experiences in North America,” a new book from National Geographic.
Basque culture in Boise, Idaho. Explore the Basque culture, food and art in Idaho’s capital city. Shop for traditional fare including port-poached figs and squid ink in the Basque Market. Visit the Basque Museum and Cultural Center to learn more — through exhibits, tours and special events — about the Basque people who come from the Pyrenees region of southern France and northern Spain.
Iceland in Spanish Fork, Utah. The first wave of 400 or so Icelanders arrived in the region in the mid-1800s.
Most Read Life Stories
- A famous Korean fried chicken chain hits Seattle -- with long lines. Can't wait? Here are 43 other new openings to check out VIEW
- Zinc solved a stinky feet problem
- Going to a Mariners game at T-Mobile Park this season? Enjoy gourmet burgers by chefs from Canlis and other big names
- Weekend getaways: Bainbridge Island makes a ferry good escape plan for families VIEW
- Upscale Dining Deals: Dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine for $45 at the Four Seasons
Visitors are welcome to join in the festivities surrounding Iceland’s Independence Day (June 17), which include a parade with costumes and performances by the children’s choir. And every February, Icelandic descendants congregate for a midwinter feast of shark meat, dried fish and sheep.
Germany in Leavenworth. Put a little oompah in your travels with a stop in this Washington mountain town modeled after a Bavarian village. The four-season destination offers hiking, skiing, rafting and fishing, similar in style to its European counterpart. Sample Bavarian stollen at the local bakery and listen to German-style music. Consider a visit during Oktoberfest or the Christmas holidays, when the town really shows its stuff.