12-foot sharks spotted Monday off Huntington Beach.
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. — The same Orange County beach closed after several large sharks were spotted over the weekend was closed down again late Monday afternoon. The closure of a one-mile stretch of shoreline at Sunset Beach in the city of Huntington Beach came just five hours after the beach had been reopened.
Lifeguards at the beach said they saw three sharks estimated to be about 12 feet long on Monday. It wasn’t clear whether any of them were the same sharks spotted on Sunday.
The sightings come a week after a swimmer was attacked by a shark about 15 miles to the south at Corona del Mar State Beach.
The woman suffered a large bite, but she is expected to survive. The shark that attacked her was not found.
Most Read Life Stories
- Here are the best new food options at the Seattle airport
- Craving Filipino-style whole roast pig? Here's the place for you
- You can't go wrong with potatoes, but here's how to pick the right ones
- The battle is over. The people have spoken. Seattle's Favorite Brewery is …
- Dining Out: 10 essential Seattle restaurants