12-foot sharks spotted Monday off Huntington Beach.
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. — The same Orange County beach closed after several large sharks were spotted over the weekend was closed down again late Monday afternoon. The closure of a one-mile stretch of shoreline at Sunset Beach in the city of Huntington Beach came just five hours after the beach had been reopened.
Lifeguards at the beach said they saw three sharks estimated to be about 12 feet long on Monday. It wasn’t clear whether any of them were the same sharks spotted on Sunday.
The sightings come a week after a swimmer was attacked by a shark about 15 miles to the south at Corona del Mar State Beach.
The woman suffered a large bite, but she is expected to survive. The shark that attacked her was not found.
Most Read Life Stories
- Sunday Best: Emily Blunt, Iman are among the fashion winners from 2021 Met Gala
- These Buffalo wings are an extra-crispy way to celebrate the American classic
- Rant & Rave: Reader gives a lesson on the etiquette of waiting in line at Dick’s
- Ramona Quimby's Portland: A self-guided walking tour through sites in Beverly Cleary's books
- Why prescribing weight loss for polycystic ovary syndrome is futile and dangerous