Seattle Times reader Michael Uschold captured a quiet moment under the I-90 bridge.
Photographer: Michael Uschold
Photo taken: Jan. 13, 2019, under the I-90 bridge at the entrance to Mercer Slough
Photographer’s description: “I have seen this phenomenon before: the sun reflecting off the water lighting the underside of the bridge, creating wonderful mirror reflections. In a kayak, it is like looking down 70 feet or so, producing a bit of vertigo. So when the weather was still and calm, I went specifically to take the photo. It was a stroke of good luck that the kayaker came by. Taken with an iPhone 6 in a waterproof case.”
Critique: “Having the prior knowledge of this scene really helps make an interesting photo. Waiting for a human element to enter the frame gives a nice sense of balance to the picture, although the kayaker gets a little blended in with the pillars.”
Most Read Life Stories
- Dick’s Drive-In opened 65 years ago, back when a hamburger, fries and a shake cost 51 cents
- In honor of the Oscars, we asked Seattle chefs to name their picks for all-time Best Food Film VIEW
- 13 latest Seattle restaurant closures — with eviction notices, sudden shutdowns and more
- Jill Abramson is dealing with every journalist’s biggest nightmare
- Giving up alcohol made our lives better — and turned us into terrible guests
Below is a gallery of previous Reader’s Lens picks. Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/submit-photos. Our favorite will appear in this spot next week. We judge the year’s best and award prizes in December.