Seattle Times reader Michael Uschold captured a quiet moment under the I-90 bridge.
Photographer: Michael Uschold
Photo taken: Jan. 13, 2019, under the I-90 bridge at the entrance to Mercer Slough
Photographer’s description: “I have seen this phenomenon before: the sun reflecting off the water lighting the underside of the bridge, creating wonderful mirror reflections. In a kayak, it is like looking down 70 feet or so, producing a bit of vertigo. So when the weather was still and calm, I went specifically to take the photo. It was a stroke of good luck that the kayaker came by. Taken with an iPhone 6 in a waterproof case.”
Critique: “Having the prior knowledge of this scene really helps make an interesting photo. Waiting for a human element to enter the frame gives a nice sense of balance to the picture, although the kayaker gets a little blended in with the pillars.”
Most Read Life Stories
- Dr. James Joki grew up in Ballard. Then he helped make Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon possible. VIEW
- Milestones in space travel: An illustrated timeline
- How spacesuits have changed since 1969
- It's easy to be duped by celebrities peddling false health claims. Here's how to get the facts.
- Departing Seattle Times restaurant critic Providence Cicero reflects on two decades of dining out
Below is a gallery of previous Reader’s Lens picks. Share your recent photo from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/submit-photos. Our favorite will appear in this spot next week. We judge the year’s best and award prizes in December.