A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Martha Lane, Bellevue
Photo taken: March 16, Chesterfield Beach, Bellevue
Photographer’s description: “In the early afternoon, I was out practicing with my new Pentax K100D and I saw this young eagle out testing his wings.”
Expert says: “The photographer has used the surrounding tree branches to creatively frame the eagle in this picture, sort of making a frame within a frame. This technique draws the viewer’s eye directly to the subject. I also like similarity of the eagle’s wingspan and the shape of the branches. I would have cropped in a bit tighter to remove the distracting wires in the bottom left part of the frame.”
Most Read Life Stories
- After 42 years of supplying Seattle home chefs, Mrs. Cook's is closing
- When do Northwest ski slopes open? 2018 forecast
- Fueled by a chef's second act, Good Day Donuts hits a sweet spot in White Center
- Michelle Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, gave Obama girls 'laundry lessons' in White House
- Travel Wise | A travel expert's go-to advice: Pack the right socks
— Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.