A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Martha Lane, Bellevue
Photo taken: March 16, Chesterfield Beach, Bellevue
Photographer’s description: “In the early afternoon, I was out practicing with my new Pentax K100D and I saw this young eagle out testing his wings.”
Expert says: “The photographer has used the surrounding tree branches to creatively frame the eagle in this picture, sort of making a frame within a frame. This technique draws the viewer’s eye directly to the subject. I also like similarity of the eagle’s wingspan and the shape of the branches. I would have cropped in a bit tighter to remove the distracting wires in the bottom left part of the frame.”
Most Read Life Stories
- Don’t say ‘Happy Yom Kippur!’ and 4 other tips for the Jewish holy day
- The best dinner-for-two deal in Seattle: a bottle of wine and 2 pasta entrees for $35
- Bad Travelers: A harrowing boat crossing to Victoria leads to a lesson — trust the professionals
- Travel Troubleshooter | She paid her own way after a flight cancellation. What does the airline owe her?
- Mom-to-be changes her mind about returning to work, and husband isn’t happy | Dear Carolyn
— Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.