A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Martha Lane, Bellevue
Photo taken: March 16, Chesterfield Beach, Bellevue
Photographer’s description: “In the early afternoon, I was out practicing with my new Pentax K100D and I saw this young eagle out testing his wings.”
Expert says: “The photographer has used the surrounding tree branches to creatively frame the eagle in this picture, sort of making a frame within a frame. This technique draws the viewer’s eye directly to the subject. I also like similarity of the eagle’s wingspan and the shape of the branches. I would have cropped in a bit tighter to remove the distracting wires in the bottom left part of the frame.”
Most Read Life Stories
- Finding hope after tragedy: Wife's stroke left dad with newborn triplets a year ago VIEW
- For these Seattle dads, fatherhood brought unimaginable loss and unconditional love | Seattle Sketcher
- Travel Troubleshooter | American Airlines couldn't get us to grandmother's funeral. Now it's keeping our money. | Travel Troubleshooter
- Rant & Rave: Birds and cats don't mix
- Getting rid of ‘gate lice’ in airline boarding
— Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.