A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Martha Lane, Bellevue
Photo taken: March 16, Chesterfield Beach, Bellevue
Photographer’s description: “In the early afternoon, I was out practicing with my new Pentax K100D and I saw this young eagle out testing his wings.”
Expert says: “The photographer has used the surrounding tree branches to creatively frame the eagle in this picture, sort of making a frame within a frame. This technique draws the viewer’s eye directly to the subject. I also like similarity of the eagle’s wingspan and the shape of the branches. I would have cropped in a bit tighter to remove the distracting wires in the bottom left part of the frame.”
Most Read Life Stories
- Marie Kondo'ing my kitchen: What a food writer learned from a total pantry re-org with a food-waste expert VIEW
- No tomato paste? No problem: Seek out "Substitutions Bible"
- Beat the winter blues on these lowland hikes not far from Seattle VIEW
- 3 common barriers to wellness — and how to beat them
- Blue C Sushi shuts down five Seattle-area restaurants
— Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.