A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Russ Rockwood, Mukilteo
Photo taken: April 21, a few miles north of Lund, British Columbia
Photographer’s description: “[I call this] ‘Local Picking Up Lunch.’ Canon 5D, 28-200mm. Out on a friend’s boat enjoying the sights and wildlife.”
Expert says: “The photographer was using a long lens to capture this beautiful eagle fishing for dinner, and probably a fast shutter speed because there is no blur in the image — the eagle is absolutely tack sharp. An overcast day created the nice, even light in this photograph.” (See it in color, online at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors) — Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Most Read Life Stories
- Giving up alcohol made our lives better — and turned us into terrible guests
- 13 latest Seattle restaurant closures — with eviction notices, sudden shutdowns and more
- In honor of the Oscars, we asked Seattle chefs to name their picks for all-time Best Food Film VIEW
- Ever wander by these little cottages in the heart of Belltown? Stop in for an art class sometime soon | Seattle Sketcher
- What happens when a top Seattle chef opens two places in the Amazon Spheres? A look at Deep Dive and Willmott's Ghost
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.