A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Russ Rockwood, Mukilteo
Photo taken: April 21, a few miles north of Lund, British Columbia
Photographer’s description: “[I call this] ‘Local Picking Up Lunch.’ Canon 5D, 28-200mm. Out on a friend’s boat enjoying the sights and wildlife.”
Expert says: “The photographer was using a long lens to capture this beautiful eagle fishing for dinner, and probably a fast shutter speed because there is no blur in the image — the eagle is absolutely tack sharp. An overcast day created the nice, even light in this photograph.” (See it in color, online at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors) — Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Most Read Life Stories
- Pickpocketed in Paris: Travel guru Rick Steves learns a lesson | Rick Steves' Europe
- A travel trailer of one’s own: The historic Sou’wester Lodge on the Washington coast makes a perfect creative retreat VIEW
- How to get yourself and your car to the San Juan Islands: 5 tips for scoring ferry reservations (and what to do if you don’t get one)
- Fine dining at Aelder or a picnic-table supper at Hogstone's Wood Oven? A trip to an Orcas Island destination-restaurant duo
- You don't always need a whole weekend: Making the most of a one-day trip to the San Juan Islands | Seattle Sketcher
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.