Gear guides have their place if you’re a seasoned pro, but if you’re just starting a new outdoor activity, they can be forbidding and unhelpful. Enter Starter Kit, a new series that guides you through the essentials you’ll need to take on the Northwest's most popular sporty hobbies — no more, no less.
Have you always wanted to be a bike-commuter — but needed a little help when it comes to suiting up and facing Seattle traffic? Have you long dreamed of giving winter sports a try — but were intimidated by all the goggle-clad acolytes clogging the best runs?
Meet Starter Kit, a gear guide for the rest of us. Think of it as a kinder, gentler introduction to the bare essentials you’ll need to take on the Northwest’s most popular sporty hobbies, so you can spend less time agonizing over gear and more time outside. First up: Always wanted to ride your bike to work? It’s easier than you think. Here’s how to start.
Most Read Life Stories
- Warm up during these cold fall days with a hearty mushroom soup that will win over even the mushroom haters
- Making wings at home but don’t want to deep-fry? Here’s the secret to crispy baked wings
- 3 terrific under-the-radar spots where Seattle locals go to grab a tasty snack at Pike Place Market
- Meet the founders of Trail Mixed Collective, a Seattle-based group working to make the outdoors more inclusive
- A homemade pumpkin spice recipe to remind us what the season should really taste like
Have an idea for something you’d like to see appear in a future Starter Kit? Let us know in the comments or send us an email at email@example.com.