A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Anthony Medina, Bainbridge Island
Photo taken: March 15, Sun Valley, Idaho
Photographer’s description: “Spring skiing was at its best for skier Michael Medina and boarder Kian Murchison. Caught on Ridge Run with 300mm lens on a Canon Rebel XT, 100 ISO.”
Expert says: “This image is strong because of its ‘clean’ background, meaning the blue sky is simple and uncluttered behind the skier and snowboarder. When composing a photograph, position yourself to avoid anything in the background that might distract from your subject.” — Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Most Read Life Stories
- Pickpocketed in Paris: Travel guru Rick Steves learns a lesson | Rick Steves' Europe
- A travel trailer of one’s own: The historic Sou’wester Lodge on the Washington coast makes a perfect creative retreat VIEW
- How to get yourself and your car to the San Juan Islands: 5 tips for scoring ferry reservations (and what to do if you don’t get one)
- Fine dining at Aelder or a picnic-table supper at Hogstone's Wood Oven? A trip to an Orcas Island destination-restaurant duo
- You don't always need a whole weekend: Making the most of a one-day trip to the San Juan Islands | Seattle Sketcher
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize).