Seattle Times reader Laurel Hair’s photo of a bald eagle roosting in a tree along the Skagit River.
Photographer: Laurel Hair, Kirkland
Photo taken: Jan. 1, off Hwy. 20, Rockport, Skagit County
Photographer’s description: “My fiancé and I spent New Year’s Day eagle watching. This eagle stayed quietly watching us, allowing me the best shots of the day as I played with my new Christmas camera.”
Expert says: “I love the stoicism captured. I also really enjoy all the layers: We get a sense of place with all the branches but it’s still clean because of the shallow depth of field. The limbs framing the eagle add to those nice layers. Great job!”
Most Read Life Stories
- Dr. James Joki grew up in Ballard. Then he helped make Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the moon possible. VIEW
- It's easy to be duped by celebrities peddling false health claims. Here's how to get the facts.
- Milestones in space travel: An illustrated timeline
- How spacesuits have changed since 1969
- Departing Seattle Times restaurant critic Providence Cicero reflects on two decades of dining out
Here’s a gallery of Reader’s Lens picks for the year so far:
Share your recent photos from around the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/northwestphotos We judge the best and award a prize every December.