A weekly column featuring reader photos.
Photographer: Spencer K. Chan, Seattle
Photo taken: Jan. 13, at Tumalo Falls near Bend, Ore.
Photographer’s description: “The original digital photograph was in color. One of my favorite things about digital photography is the ease to convert color into black and white. I think snow provides great contrast to its surroundings in B&W pictures. Time taken: 1:18 p.m. Camera: Nikon D50. Focal Length: 28mm. Aperture: F/10. Occasion: Snowshoeing on a beautiful, sunny day.”
Expert says: “The photographer’s decision to convert his digital color image into black and white shows creativity. I would have cropped the photo on both sides, making the icy waterfall more prominent and the scene symmetrical.” — Barbara Kinney, Features picture editor, The Seattle Times
Most Read Life Stories
- A never-ending quest for the perfect Seattle ramen
- Blue C Sushi shuts down five Seattle-area restaurants
- Rant & Rave: Thanks for the viaduct memories
- Marie Kondo'ing my kitchen: What a food writer learned from a total pantry re-org with a food-waste expert VIEW
- A legend in the Seattle food scene returns and 8 more big openings for 2019
Please send us your photo from a recent weekend in the Northwest. Submit online at seattletimes.com/weekendphotos. We’ll judge the year’s best in December (and award a prize). See more photos at seattletimes.com/traveloutdoors.