This dish comes together in about 10 minutes — thank goodness!
Macaroni and cheese is the food equivalent of a big hug. It’s cozy, it’s comforting, and it tastes like pure love. But this version isn’t just high in its comfort food quotient: it will actually get you high, because it’s made with cannabutter!
Bursting with cheesy, gooey perfection, this dish comes together in just about 10 minutes. It makes a perfect single serving, which is a good thing since you definitely won’t want to share. However, if you are feeling kind and loving and generous, the recipe can be doubled.
Cannabis mac and cheese
Most Read Life Stories
- A famous Korean fried chicken chain hits Seattle -- with long lines. Can't wait? Here are 43 other new openings to check out VIEW
- Going to a Mariners game at T-Mobile Park this season? Enjoy gourmet burgers by chefs from Canlis and other big names
- One of Capitol Hill's best happy hours just got better. Also, here are five others to hit
- Psst! Hoy, Seattle! Archipelago masterfully combines Filipino food with Pacific Northwest flair
- Oahu on the cheap? Put these travel hacks to use for a surprisingly affordable island getaway VIEW
Makes one serving
- ½ cup elbow macaroni
- ½ cup milk (whatever type you like)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cannabutter* (This recipe can be made with regular cannabutter or vegan cannabutter)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the elbow macaroni per the package instructions, cooking to the “al dente” point. Remove from heat, strain, then return the cooked macaroni to the pot.
- Add the milk, cheddar cheese, cannabutter, unsalted butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot with the macaroni.
- Apply low heat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture has come together and thickened to your desired level. Me, I like to wait until the spoon leaves a streak in the bottom of the pan as I stir; that is a good sign that the cheese has reached a nice, creamy yet not too “wet” consistency.
- Remove from heat, and add more salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!
You can use whole milk, 2 percent, 1 percent or skim. The recipe can also be made with nondairy milks, though the flavor and texture of the finished dish may vary.
If desired, you can use a different type of grated cheese or even a mix of cheeses in this recipe. Choose your own cheesy adventure!
Decarboxylate 3.5 grams of finely ground cannabis at 225 degrees for 20 minutes in a tightly sealed, oven-safe container. Put cannabis in lidded mason jar or vacuum sealed bag with cannabis and one stick of butter. Heat in water bath just under boiling for at least 1 hour. Strain and chill to use in recipes.
A note on dosage
I “dosed” this recipe with 1 teaspoon of cannabutter per serving. The strength of your finished product will depend on many factors, including the type of marijuana you used and how you made your cannabutter. For more tips on proper dosage, visit 5 Ways To Figure Out THC Dosage With Cannabutter.