How to use ribbon and trim scraps to decorate a light switch.
Let’s face it: Plastic switch-plate covers are boring and ugly. Even in upscale home boutiques, I rarely find a pretty one. We all have them in our homes, so they are a perfect item to embellish!
I designed this one for my daughter’s room. We used trim and ribbon scraps left over from previous projects. Using two different trims, you can create a simple striped pattern. If you like, use a variety of trims and ribbons to create a look that works with the room. Combine colors and patterns as you see fit, and have fun being creative with this embellishing project.
Plastic switch plate
Most Read Life Stories
- Recompose, the human-composting alternative to burial and cremation, finds a home in Seattle's Sodo area
- ANA to offer nonstop flights from Seattle to Tokyo's Haneda airport; Seattle service from Narita suspended
- This is the beloved Thanksgiving 'classic' most people hate to eat, survey reveals
- How to get rid of stuff after 45 years in the same house? This couple threw a 'downsizing party'
- Have a love-hate relationship with your family? How to stay sane when everyone comes together for the holidays.
Double-sided permanent adhesive sheet
Ribbon flower (optional)
Variety of ribbons of different widths
1. Cut all ribbons/fabric pieces ½ inch longer than the width of the switch plate.
2. Cut a piece of double-sided adhesive sheet slightly larger than the switch plate. Snip the four corners on an angle. Peel paper off one side of the adhesive sheet and apply to the front of the switch plate. Wrap edges around the back of the switch plate.
3. Peel off remaining side of adhesive sheet. Adhere the ribbons down the front of the switch plate one at a time, leaving ¼ inch on each side of the ribbon. Make sure the ribbons meet each other but don’t overlap.
4. Fold the ribbon edges under the plate.
5. Turn the switch plate over and use a craft knife to cut an “X”in the opening for the switch. Fold under.
6. Use the craft knife to cut the openings for the screws.
7. Using the fabric adhesive, attach the ribbon flower to the front of the switch plate wherever desired.
Dena Fishbein is the designer and artist behind many home, gift and paper products found at your favorite stores. To ask her how to embellish anything, visit her blog at denadesigns.com.