A Portland-based company that helps simplify the work it takes to pick an interior paint color — and is environmentally friendly to...
A Portland-based company that helps simplify the work it takes to pick an interior paint color — and is environmentally friendly to boot — will debut its paint in Seattle this summer.
YOLO Colorhouse’s first paint collection will be available in three Rodda Paint stores by the beginning of August.
The paint from the 5-month-old company, founded by Janie Lowe and Virginia Young, has only been available in Oregon or online until now.
The company’s Earth Collection offers 40 colors with dreamy palette names like Air and Leaf. The paint goes for $33 to $35 a gallon. YOLO’s poster-size paint swatches are also sure to appeal to the paint-obsessed. The swatches, sold for $4.99, come with adhesive on the back, which make them easy to tack up on any wall for a test run.
Most Read Life Stories
- Weekend getaways: Bainbridge Island makes a ferry good escape plan for families VIEW
- A famous Korean fried chicken chain hits Seattle -- with long lines. Can't wait? Here are 43 other new openings to check out VIEW
- Psst! Hoy, Seattle! Archipelago masterfully combines Filipino food with Pacific Northwest flair
- Shake Shack will open a second location in Seattle next year
- Hill's expands large recall of canned dog food sold in vet clinics, pet stores nationwide
The swatches can be moved all over the room, and once you’re done, the company suggests reusing them as wrapping paper.
YOLO also does the thinking for you in its design kit, which makes a great housewarming gift. The kit includes 8 ½-by-11 paint swatches of all 40 colors and costs $80. Color-challenged shoppers will like the advice on the back of each swatch, which suggests where to use a particular hue.
For example, Clay .02, is a bright pumpkin color described as a “hot, vivacious, people magnet.” It “evokes drama, activity,” and is recommended for the dining room, kitchen, living room or wherever people gather.
The swatches in the design kit also list companion colors to help you figure out a color that could work as a trim or on the ceiling.
Nicole Tsong: 206-464-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org