Put bulgar in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside 30 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Spread on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain for a few minutes. Scrape...
– 1 cup bulgar wheat
– 1 cup boiling water
– ¼ cup paper-thin slices red onion
– ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
– 2 ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
– ½ red bell pepper, seeded and diced
– 2 green onions, thinly sliced
– 3 tablespoons lemon juice
– ½ teaspoon salt
– ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
– ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
– ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– ¼ cup chopped mint
– 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Put bulgar in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside 30 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Spread on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain for a few minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
2. Put the red onion in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside 15 minutes, then drain and rinse. Squeeze excess moisture out with a paper towel; add to bulgar. Stir in cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper and green onions.
3. Combine lemon juice, salt, coriander, cumin, fennel, cayenne and olive oil in a small jar. Shake well and pour over salad; stir in mint and parsley. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from “Diva Cooking: Unashamedly Glamorous Party Food” by Victoria Blashford-Snell and Jennifer Joyce