Whoopie Pies get the red velvet treatment in this new twist on an old cookie recipe.
Dating from the 1920s, creamy filling mounded between two big puffy cookies became a phenomenon. This version has big taste yet smaller size.
RED VELVET WHOOPIE PIES
Prep: 45 min. Bake: 7 min. per batch. Oven: 375 degrees.
Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies
Most Read Life Stories
- Seattle chef Mike Easton's critically acclaimed pasta spot Il Corvo will return … but in Eastern Washington
- 7 hidden-gem attractions to check out at Seattle's Pike Place Market
- This Oregon teacher climbed Washington’s 100 tallest peaks in 51 days
- 3 terrific under-the-radar spots where Seattle locals go to grab a tasty snack at Pike Place Market
- Warm up during these cold fall days with a hearty mushroom soup that will win over even the mushroom haters
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1-oz. bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
1 recipe Whoopie Pie Filling, below
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
3. Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds about 1/2 inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing 1 inch between each round.
4. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
5. To fill, dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.
Whoopie Pie Filling
In medium mixing bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter and half an 8-ounce package softened cream cheese until smooth. Fold in one 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme.
To store: Refrigerate in airtight container up to 4 days. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
Each 1-inch cookie: 70 calories, 3 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein. Daily Values: 2 percent vitamin A, 1 percent calcium, 2 percent iron.
Recipe by Angela McCrovitz / Better Homes and Gardens (www.bhg.com)