½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Most Read Life Stories
- Attention, Seattle! Two famous Filipino fried-chicken chains are in your backyard. Here's why you should go.
- Why cold-brew coffee became cool in coffee-mad Seattle — and how to make your own
- 17 latest Seattle restaurant closures — plus one big-name Capitol Hill place that’s closing soon
- 42 new restaurants in Seattle include a much-anticipated Alki pasta place, a Jewish deli and many hot-pot spots
- What to say and not say to friends and family coping with serious illness
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 cup bourbon
2 cups chicken stock
½ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark miso
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
Cooked rice, to serve
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, cayenne and garlic powder. Add the chicken and toss well to coat evenly.
2. In a medium Dutch oven over medium, heat the oil until it shimmers. Add the chicken pieces skin side down and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, eight to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside.
3. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute. Add the bourbon and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, about two minutes.
4. Stir in the chicken stock, orange juice, soy sauce and miso and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce is thickened to the consistency of a gravy, about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serve with rice.
Recipe from The Associated Press, from Edward Lee’s “Smoke & Pickles,” Artisan, 2013